There are times when house fires are totally unavoidable. Oftentimes though, we can take preventative measures to keep our home and our belongings safe. Here are some examples of ways we can practice fire prevention within the household.
It is good practice to test your batteries in your smoke detectors monthly and to change the batteries when they get low. This will allow you to be notified when a fire is starting and allow you the opportunity to put it out before it can be destructive.
If you have a heat source in your home or an outdoor fire pit it is always smart to keep a fire extinguisher somewhere accessible in the event it causes fire. Fire extinguishers are a smart investment even without a heat source since there are many pieces of equipment and situations within the home that we will discuss that can call for the use of one. Be sure to make note of the expiration date on your extinguisher.
This one might seem like an obvious solution, but it’s not uncommon for house fires to start due to unattended candles or other fire and heat sources. If available, opt for flashlights during a storm and make sure any candles you do burn are in areas away from fabrics and other flammable items.
When wires are damaged there is a possibility that they can cause electrical fires and a lot of damage to your home. Be sure to replace any wires that may seem questionable. It’s also important to have an idea about the wiring within your home. Knob-and-tube wiring, aluminum wiring, and 60-amp electrical systems (commonly found in older homes) tend to come with a greater risk of overheating. Outdated electrical systems can be a hazard and should be evaluated in order to be aware of your best course of action.
It is worth noting that power strips and outlets can be overcrowded so try not to have all of your plugin appliances and wires hooked up to the same outlets.
Cooking appliances and equipment are the leading cause of housefires and account for approximately 47% of them. Considering the amount of heat generated and possibly open flame depending on your method of cooking, it’s no wonder! Here are some things to be aware of and try to prevent in order to protect your kitchen and home. We are generally in the kitchen when food is cooking so it’s very important for our own safety as well.
Leaving spilled grease or flours can cause grease fires to start and are fast spreading. Also be sure that your clothing is not dangling in a way that can cause the fabric to catch fire. Super high temperatures when cooking can cause food to ignite in the pot or pan. Be aware of what can and cannot go into your appliances, for example, do not use tin foil in the microwave.
Keeping the filters in your home clean are an easy but important task in preventing home fires. Your AC filter and your dryer screens fill with dust and other flammable materials that can potentially cause danger. Be sure to clean your dryer screen before every load and change or clean your AC filter the recommended amount of 1-3 months depending on usage.
For those who use smaller appliances such as humidifiers, air fryers, coffee makers, etc. it is good practice to unplug them when not in use.
All in all, there are many ways we can prevent fires in our home that require minimal effort. Always be aware of what’s going on and try your best not to leave fire unattended. With a little bit of care and maintenance we can avoid potential disasters from happening. If you find yourself a victim of a house fire and are overwhelmed by the effects of it, you don’t have to handle it on your own. Contact APR Restoration for efficient and professional assistance in fire damage restoration.
When APR can be of service to you, please call 1-877-942-7762 or fill out our online contact form at apr-nc.com/contact/ and a team member will respond to your inquiry as quickly as possible.
9316-4 Smart Dr.
Raleigh, NC 27603
2908 A Orville Wright Way,
Wilmington, NC 28405
2807 Neuse Blvd, Suite #1,
New Bern, NC 28562
Copyright © 2021 APR Restoration All rights reserved.