Molds grow both outdoors and indoors in warm, humid, and damp environments. Mold is mostly common in basements, bathrooms, plumbing pipes, beneath sinks, ceiling tiles, carpets and drywall. Mold can cause serious health problems. When mold is left undetected, it may also cause structural damage. It is essential to inspect the presence of mold as soon as possible. Here are the signs that homeowners should consider if there is mold in their homes.
Mold can cause allergy-related symptoms. If a homeowner is unsure if the allergy is caused by mold, they should consider if their symptoms improve outside a house. If these symptoms don’t appear while outdoors, then it’s a good indication that mold is the cause. Symptoms of allergies caused by mold include sinus headache, coughing, sneezing, wheezing, runny nose, itchy skin, and throat. Some molds are toxic and can cause life-threatening diseases such as cancer, bleeding, cancer, or even organ damage.
Mold signs in a Home
Molds can be toxic and dangerous. However, it is easy to spot the presence of mold. Here are some of the signs that there is mold in a home.
Molds may appear in clusters, thread-like or white. Mold may also be purple, pink, orange or gray-brown in color. If there is noticeable mold, then it is best to consider an expert to assist, especially if there are leaks that might have caused the issue.
Some mold produces a musty or moldy smell. If homeowners smell a persistent stuffy odor, it is a sign of mold in their homes. Various kinds of mold species smell differently, and it can be difficult to notice the exact smell. If there’s an unusual smell in the house, then it’s important to inspect the cause. Mold can grow due to water leaks. Sometimes it becomes difficult to detect, especially if the leak is under the surface or behind walls. If a homeowner notices a leak, it is essential to repair it immediately. Metal pipes and windows can also harbor molds.
Long-term moisture leads to mold growth. If there is discoloration on walls, water stains on ceilings or walls, then there is a possibility of the presence of molds. Water is easily absorbed and therefore creates a damp area for mold growth. If the problem is identified earlier, it will be easier to prevent mold growth. Indoor condensation can also support the growth of molds. If a house has experienced any form of flooding, then there is a possibility of mold growth. If there are people getting nosebleeds often, it could be a sign of a significant infestation of molds in the house. Mold can cause chronic nosebleeds, but it’s best to consult the doctor for other underlying problems.
Mold can cause serious damage to a house and the health of people. Seeking professional help for mold inspection will help in preventing long-term damage. When removing molds, you should have protective gear to reduce exposure to mold spores. Protect your forearms and hands by wearing long gloves. It’s also important to wear eye protection such as sun spectacles to prevent the bleach from entering your eyes when removing mold, especially from a ceiling. Hydrogen peroxide solution can also be used by spraying it in the affected areas then scrubbing the mold. Undiluted vinegar is also useful to remove molds.
If one realizes early the mold infestation, it can be handled using a household cleaner. However, if the mold infestation is too much, a professional contractor can help out. Seek a professional contractor with experience in the safe removal of mold removal. When choosing a contractor to clean up the area, ensure the contractor has vast experience in cleaning mold.
9316-4 Smart Dr.
Raleigh, NC 27603
2908 A Orville Wright Way,
Wilmington, NC 28405
2807 Neuse Blvd, Suite #1,
New Bern, NC 28562
Copyright © 2021 APR Restoration All rights reserved.